I cannot believe my baby is officially a two-year-old toddler today!
Time is such a precious commodity and the last two years have been some of the best of my life. Sharing almost every day with him (minus the three days daddy and I took a vacation), has been inspiring. Viewing the world through his eyes has allowed me to appreciate details I never did before. I make a point to take notice of the little things. Joy, giggles and belly laughter fill our home in ways I never thought possible.
Today is a special day to reflect on his life and the blessings he has brought to all of ours. I remember when he was three weeks old and I was completely drained from the three N’s: nonstop nursing, not sleeping and needing a break! I thought it had to get better…motherhood, couldn’t possibly be so lonely and draining! Well, it can be draining (at times), but it does get better…so much better…everyday.
As my son grows up, I can’t help but think of the things he’s taught me and continues to teach me each day. Some are deep and far more poetic, but for the sake of sharing with all of you…here are a few things I’ve learned between one and two:
1. Bath Time is a necessary ritual and not all ducks are created equal
2. Routines are absolutely, 100% mandatory and non-negotiable. Just ask my husband 😉
3. Food is Good…all food. More food is Better and Nana’s Cookies are the Best!
4. Laughing out loud makes most things better
5. Clothes don’t have to match to be cute
6. SLEEP = happy baby and happy mommy
7. Trucks are not for the faint of heart and “Beep Beep” and “Vroom Vroom” require very different actions
8. Books are Brilliant
9. Boys are definitely different than Girls
10. Fresh air does a body good
11. Papas, Nanas, Grandpas and Grandmas are gifts from God
12. Toys with multiple pieces are only fun because they have multiple pieces and block towers are most fun when knocking them over
13. Teeth brushing is fun and hair brushing is completely over rated
14. Friends are great, friends with fun mommies are even more great
15. Shoes = Freedom
16. Fingers and Toes are made for counting and Belly Buttons are our greatest accessory
17. White noise…oh, what would we do without our white noise machines?
18. Snack time can make or break the day. Always on the grocery list: avocados, bananas, goat cheese, cereal bars and yogurt
19. Holidays are meant to be celebrated…all holidays, even Ground Hog Day
20. One year goes by really quickly when you’re having fun!
I love you Ah-Ah. You are Mommy and Daddy’s absolute favorite thing on the planet! Happy Birthday my love!